Who we are
WHU Ltd is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
WHU Ltd may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 25/05/2018.
The law sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data. We may rely upon the following legal basis
Consent - we may ask for your consent (via a tick box/signature) to collect your personal data
Contract - under certain circumstances we may process your personal data to take steps towards/complete a contract with yourselves.
Legal Compliance - if the law requires us to we may need to collect and process your data
Legitimate interests - we may process your personal data without consent if we need to do this for a legitimate reason
When do we collect your data
- when you visit our website
- when you create an account with us
- when you make a purchase or service in store, by phone or via our website
- when you engage with us on social media
- when you make contact with us by any means with queries, comments, complaints etc
How and why your data is collected
We sometimes need to collect your data in order to fulfil a contract/enquiry with you, to keep you updated if you have requested this, to share offers that you might be interested in or to improve the way that we interact with our customers.
Here is how we will use your personal data and why:
- to process any enquiries that you make we will process your personal data under the basis of legitimate interests and contract.
- to process any orders or payments that you make we will process your personal data under the basis of contract and legal obligations.
- to protect our business, our website and yourself from fraud or illegal activities we will monitor browsing activities under the basis of legitimate interests.
- to deal with any queries, refunds or complaints we will process and store personal data for six months under the legal basis of legal, contractual and legitimate interests.
- to keep you informed via email, text, phone or web we may contact you, we will do this under the basis of consent.
- if appropriate we might process your personal data to share with law enforcement under the basis of legal obligations.
- to process your order/service it may be appropriate to share your data with a third party (such a delivery firm) otherwise we would be unable to fulfil your request.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes (all data is anonymised) and then the data is removed from the system. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Declining cookies may limit the way that you are able to interact with our website.
When someone visits www.bywhu.com we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website.
What types of data we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including address, postcode, phone number and email address
- purchases and orders made by you
- your communication and marketing preferences
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
- information gathered by cookies in your web browser
- your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- to provide goods and services to you, through our internal record keeping;
- to manage any registered account(s) that you hold with us;
- to verify your identity;
- for crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes;
- with your agreement, to contact you electronically about promotional offers and products and services which we think may interest you;
- where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute).
- we may use the information to improve our products and services
How we keep your personal data secure
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We use a secure server which is fully GDPR compliant.
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. At the end of the retention period your data will be deleted or anonymised so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis.
Who we share your personal data with
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your consent or are required by law to do so.
We may share your personal data
- to other companies in our group
- If we sell our business
- To third parties to complete a service or product delivery that you have requested.
- In cases where the law dictates that we must
We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting but only if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
Access to your personal information
You are entitled to view, amend, or delete the personal information that we hold. Email your request to our data protection officer Abby Whittaker at [email protected], this will be free in most cases.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at [email protected]
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
How to contact us
Email us at: [email protected]
Phone us on: 01823 350 444
Or write to us at: WHU Ltd 120 East Reach, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 3HL